Vegetables and Fruits for Stage 3 CKD2012-11-27 11:17
We know that CKD can be divided into 5 stages according to patients’ GFR and kidney functions. In stage 1 and 2, the kidney is slightly damaged and the illness conditions are still reversible. In stage 4 and 5 the renal functions are severely affected and patients may need to take or prepare for renal replacement therapies. Then what about stage 3 CKD? It can be said to be a very crucial period for effective and timely treatments. With proper treatment and diet adjustments, patients can stay in this stage for years without progressing into the final stage.
Here are some suggestions on vegetables and fruits for stage 3 CKD patients:
Vegetables and fruits those are conducive for them
1. Green leafy vegetables, fresh jujube, watermelon, cucumber, kiwi and natural fruit juices, etc. They contain rich vitamin C which can promote the absorption of iron and alleviate anemia.
2. Wax gourd, towel gourd, watermelon, etc. These vegetables are good for stage 3 CKD patients because they can not eat high-protein or high-salt foods. If high blood pressure is accompanied, they can have lotus root and corn.
However the amount should not be too much or it will increase burdens to the kidney. For example, watermelon has the functions of diuresis, detumescence and heat-clearing, but too much intake will cause frequent urination and add extra burdens to kidneys. What is more, sugar in watermelon is also potential risk for worsening kidney functions.
Vegetables and fruits patients should limit or avoid
1. It is better that patients not eat garlic, onion, spinach, potato and beans. If patients want to eat these foods, they’d better to be first boiled in boiling water to remove toxins that can damage renal function and heart function such as potassium, oxalic acid and saponin.
2. Patients should avoid high-potassium and high-sodium fruits and vegetables because hyperkalaemia can lead to sudden death and too much intake of salty foods can aggravate kidney failure.
High-potassium vegetables: bamboo shoot, green vegetables, carrots, mushroom, spinach, rape, kelp, leek, tomato, beans and bean products, etc.
High-potassium fruits: dried longan, orange, hawthorn, peach, etc.
Low-potassium foods: red turnip, celery, pumpkin, eggplant, cucumber, wax gourd, towel gourd, pears, apples, grapes, pineapple, etc.
As for high-potassium foods, they can be processed through frozen, soaked or boiled in water to reduce potassium content.
3. If patients have high level of uric acid, they should avoid high-purine foods such as animal offals, sea products, beans, spinach, mushroom and beer.
4. While receiving treatments, patients should avoid the following foods: persimmon, radish, cucumber, sweet potato, watermelon, onion, pepper, mustard, clove, etc.
Weather the illness condition is mild or severe, patients should have low-salt diets to avoid retention of water and sodium. Besides, excitant foods, tobacco and alcohol especially ardent spirits should be avoided.
One important aspect in daily diets is proper protein intake which should be less than 30g/d.
- Tag: CKD stage 3 Diet CKD Stage 3
- previous：Diet Suggestions for Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease
- next：What Fruits And Veggies Not To Eat With Stage 3 Kidney Disease
Get free online analysis for your illness condition here. Choose any of the following tools to start instant communication with our experts.
Leave your problem to us, we are here to help you with free charge!